Wednesday, October 20, 2004

If Only They Could Both Lose...

It's been slim picking around here lately, as my workload has reached the point where it kills most of my blogging time. And with the Dodgers now working on their golf games, I can't make a dedicated effort to stay up-to-date. I'm just not that interested in whether or not Jim Tracy can make the green in three.

Needless to say, New York is in a state of hysteria right now. The radio shows are blathering on about how this is the most important game in the history of the Yankee franchise. I hate to say it, but they might be right. For the New York Yankees to be the first team ever to cough up a 3-0 posteseason lead, and to do it to the Red Sox, of all teams, would be a stain they could never erase.

Now, it's not like the Yanks would become cursed or anything if they lost tonight. With Steinbrenner's endless pocketbook, a curse-buster is only a free-agent signing or two away. But they would never live this down if they lose this game. For the Red Sox, on the other hand... what can you say? They either win tonight, in which case they break the curse (?) and get over on the Yankees for the first time ever, or they lose, in which case New Englanders get to go back to doing what they love to do: moaning about the oh-so-cruel twists of fate they must endure as fans of the most star-crossed team in sports.

I've always said that the Red Sox would lose their identity if they ever won the World Series. They'd turn into the Marlins or Diamondbacks or Angels, just another team that got hot in October and won a title. Don't get me wrong, I'd give anything for my team to get hot in October and win a title, but the only thing special about the Red Sox and their fans is that air of inevitable doom that always follows them around. They just wouldn't be as interesting if they finally won it all, although it would be entertaining to see the city of Boston fall into the Atlantic.

Honestly, I hate both these teams. I hate the Yankees because they're the corporate behemoth of baseball, and I hate the Red Sox because of their insufferable woe-is-us routine. Of course, I'll be watching tonight, but only as an objective baseball observer.

Not that anybody's noticing, but meanwhile, the Cards and Astros have been playing a pretty entertaining series. And I still think either of them can beat the eventual AL champ in the Series. It's been that kind of year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home